Tuesday Evening and Overnight
Volunteer Elder Care – cook dinner, care for, and stay overnight with my girlfriend’s mother. This allows her to stay in her own home. She is 99 this year!
Some of My Hobbies
- Golf: when Gary and I became a couple, he said “if you learn to golf I’ll learn to ski.” The rest is history, LOL. I have to say, though, that I’m the better skier and he’s the better golfer. I guess that’s fair. It was a ‘win’ for the Patrol, though, because Gary finally joined the Patrol so we could spend some time together in winter, having no idea that this would turn into a year-round job for me – and sometimes him too. He is a valuable member of the Hidden Valley team, following up on patient care and functioning as a medical resource for other patrollers in our Aid Room. Just FYI, he’s a CRNA too.
- Training: I used to work out at a high level, even competing in smaller triathlons in my 40s. I kinda got lazy for awhile but recently got back to the gym. I really needed help so hired a personal trainer 3 days a week. Hannah has helped me achieve fitness – in flexibility and overall strength – and the gym even voted me Rock Star of the month last February because of my dedication and improved fitness. PS: I also have learned that simple sugars and refined flours are poison to my body so keep their intake limited.
- Hiking: My youngest son lives in Utah. He and his gal love the outdoors as much as I. So when I visit we definitely take advantage the great outdoors. The are foodies too, so we treat ourselves, of course.
- Cooking: Sometimes I have the time, sometimes I don’t. My girlfriend Jinia from Anesthesia School said she didn’t know I knew how to cook for years. 🙂 When I have the time, I can cook a great meal. I am not a baker though. One of my favorite experiences was talking myself into the kitchen of a Michelin 1-star Chef on a charter cruise in Scotland last year and convincing him to let me be his Sous Chef. What an amazing experience. I even got to prep with one of his knives, and you may know how sacred a Chef’s knives are to him (or her)!
- Decorating: I’ve moved a lot!!! so love moving the furniture around. Everything we own is versatile and I love to make our place look as good as I can. Doesn’t mean it’s ready for House Beautiful but we’re comfortable. Gary and I live in a nearly 110 year old home and recently did (had a contractor do) some major remodeling. Our kitchen is GREAT!, Chef ready; and we finally have hot running water upstairs. Many of the things hanging on our walls were either cross-stitched by me or framed by me. Although since joining the Ski Patrol I’ve had time for neither hobby.
- Learning: When I decided to semi-retire, I knew I needed to keep my brain fit along with my body. So I asked myself, “what do you know how, or want, to do. Well, I have always wanted to learn languages and I KNOW how to be a student, so voila! I enrolled in a spanish language course. ?Habla espanol, anyone?